Wednesday, January 20, 2010

DISILLUSIONED WITH GOD?

I have had some recent conversations with awesome Christian friends who tell me they are struggling to trust Father. In days previous to learning the extent of Father’s love, I might have gasped, grabbed them by the hand, and said, “I’ll pray for you!” I know I used to think not being able to trust God was an indicator of my rapidly failing spiritual life. Now my response is, “Awesome! I’m glad you are growing in your spiritual walk!”

There are many times in our spiritual walks where it seems our Abba Father has failed us. It is easy to trust Him when circumstances are pleasant, life seems to be moving along smoothly and there are no crises looming on the horizon. But what do we do when everything blows up in our faces: a loved one is lost to cancer, the car breaks down and the bill is $1,000, or an earthquake in a foreign country decimates the capital city’s population?

Let’s imagine for a moment that your roof on your home is leaking. You’ve asked two companies to give you bids for a new roof. The first company comes out and after taking a look at the roof, gives you an estimate of $11,000 to replace the roof. This bid is right in line with what you have researched. The second company comes out and after looking at the roof, gives you a bid of $500. When you ask them why the cost is so much lower than the first company, they inform you that the entire roof does not need to be replaced. They found the spot where it is leaking and determined that a very good repair of that location would only cost $500. Who would you trust more?

One act of integrity can secure a working relationship forever, and Father demonstrated His one act of integrity in the cross. By taking our sin into Himself and destroying it, at the cost of His Son, He demonstrated His love for us. His one act of integrity is a constant source where we can place our trust.

Hearing this and putting it into action are two different things entirely. It is difficult learning to trust when others have hurt us. Father knows this and His love during this growth process grows with every step we take.

Here’s a concept I had not heard put quite so succinctly. Wayne Jacobsen states: “When Jesus asked people to “repent and believe” the gospel, He was not asking them to be sorry for their sins and embrace an orthodox theology. He was asking them to forfeit their own agenda and embrace His. That’s the invitation to the kingdom. It is not whether we want to go to heaven or hell, but whether we want to trust God or continue trusting ourselves.”

Matthew 5:3 (The Message) states, “You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and His rule.”

My friends are growing in their spiritual walk. The realization that they have a difficult time placing their trust in Father is much better than the complacency I used to live in… under the illusion that I was in control of things or that I was trusting Him completely. Learning to live in the confidence of Father’s love in the midst of my life falling apart is the most difficult thing I have ever begun, but it gets easier.

Four things I’m learning on my God Journey:
1. This God Journey I’m on will be a lifetime of learning more about Father's love for me and trusting Him and His love, in good times AND bad.
2. Even in the disillusionment He is perfecting me more into the image of His Son.
3. Father gains joy in the process of taking me, disillusioned in Him, into learning how to live as His beloved daughter.
4. I can choose to cooperate with Him and embrace His process.

Footnote: The author uses the concepts in He Loves Me: Learning to Live in the Father’s Affection, Chapter 19 to make some points in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment