Saturday, January 16, 2010

Did you know?

It is amazing what I learn from the Word when I'm reading it with the intensity of learning more about Father's love for me!

To set the scene, Abraham was promised a son but Sarah got impatient and gave her servant Hagar to Abraham as a concubine. Hagar had a son and named him Ishmael. Ishmael was in his late teens when Isaac was born to Sarah and Hagar. The Bible says that Sarah saw Ishmael mocking Isaac and she turned against Hagar. Abraham gave Hagar some bread and one skin of water and sent her off into the wilderness of Beersheba."

Okay, that much I'm assuming most of you know. And I'm sure you are aware that Hagar and Ishmael almost died in the wilderness, but God provided a well for them.

I'm not sure why, but my understanding always was that once Ishmael and Hagar were sent away, their relationship with Abraham, Sarah and Isaac came to a complete end.

BUT I learned something NEW this week while working through Genesis in my daily Bible reading. Genesis 25 discusses the death of Abraham. Verse 8 and 9: "Abraham breathed his last and died in a ripe old age, an old man and satisfied with life; and he was gathered to his people. Then his sons ISAAC AND ISHMAEL (emphasis mine) buried him in the cave of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, facing Mamre.

It sounds to me, from this Scripture reference and a couple of others, that Isaac had contact with his brother Ishmael. In any family, it would seem that if a son were exiled he would not be allowed at the funeral. So my best guess is that the relationship was somewhat amicable. Amazing what I can find when I dig into the Word! Are you digging into the Word?

No comments:

Post a Comment