Sunday, January 17, 2010

Compassion is a Lifestyle

Today after church my son Ian came into the office. His lips were quivering and he was obviously on the verge of huge crocodile tears. I was surprised as I had no idea what he was upset about. He came to me and, starting to cry, handed me some change. He said, "Mom, I want to give this for those kids in Haiti" and burst into tears. I asked him why he was crying and his response reduced me to tears. He said... "Because that's all I have to give."

I'm reminded of Jesus pointing out the widow who gave two mites and how He said she was blessed because of her sacrificial giving. Ian gave up his last twenty-four cents and that meant a lot, especially since he has been wanting to buy a game for his game boy advance that he purchased from his savings.

Mike and I loved on him and affirmed his heart of giving. Mike told Ian how Jesus multiplied the little boy's bread and fish in order to feed 5,000 people. Suddenly, I remembered something! Before Christmas, we were gifted with a $25 gift card to Nazarene Compassionate Ministries. Mike and I committed to sitting down with the kids and finding a project we wanted to gift with that $25. Soon after that commitment we were gifted with $75 more in NCM gift cards.

Christmas season came and went and those gift cards were still in our desk drawer. Today, in each of our boys' names, $25 was given to NCM for the Caribbean Disaster Relief (ACM1204) at www.ncm.org.

Today Ian witnessed God's love and miracle of multiplying his twenty-four cents by 416 times to $25! I'm excited to learn how much further that .24 will be multiplied... God has plans for Ian and his sensitive heart. I am so thankful he listened to God's voice guiding him in this giving.

If you feel God is asking you to give, there are many avenues for giving open to you. The Red Cross, Nazarene Compassionate Ministries and many more organizations are available and needing the funds you can provide.

I don't want this to be a "fundraising" post in my blog. What I want to emphasize here is the sensitivity our hearts are created with to hear Father's voice prompting us to step out of our comfort zone. I pray that my kids will always listen for their Father's voice to lead them through each day. And I pray that you will hear Father's voice, calling to you... calling to the ones He loves. If you want to listen to this song, scroll to the bottom of my blog for a video...and think on this...the chorus could be reversed. Imagine Father singing over you, "I am running, running after you. You've become my soul's delight."

“I hear the voice

It’s the voice of the One I love

He’s calling my name

I hear the voice

The voice of the One I love,

He's calling my name

He's saying…

Come up higher

I hear the angels sing

Come up higher, my beloved

Come up higher and leave this world behind

I find you to be beautiful

I am running, running after You

You've become my soul’s delight

I am running, running after You

Here with You I find my life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment