Sunday, August 29, 2010

Something smells!

Many years ago, I lived in Texas. I was in the Army and pregnant with my oldest son, Patrick, who is now 16. I lived in off-base housing and on the way to work one day, I obliterated a skunk who moved a little too slowly. Now, I don't know about any other ladies, but being pregnant heightened my sense of smell a lot! I washed that car so many times it was squeaky clean on the outside and yet... I could still smell the skunk. As time went on, others could not smell it, but that smell was SEARED into my "smell memory." I could still smell that skunk two years later when I sold the car.

Paul says that as Christians, we are like this smell that lingers. (2 Corinthians 2:14-16)

For those who are lonely, without hope, and looking for a source of unconditional love, we are a sweet aroma. The presence of Father's love flowing through us fills them up and lingers, even as we move out of their presence. Our Heavenly Father is able to take our testimony, our life filled with His love, and create a longing in that person for what we have.

For those who are running from their Heavenly Father, those who do not wish to surrender to His will for their lives, our smell becomes like the stench of death. We do not stink like the skunk, but we are a reminder to them of their choice. Father is able to convict others just by the holiness we absorb and exude on a daily basis.

When we deviate from living in holiness, it gives these persons a reprieve from Father's conviction - an ability to continue excusing their sinful decisions.

My goal is to smell like the sweetest sweet to those who are seeking Christ, and to stink like the stinkiest dead skunk to those who are running from Christ. Father loves them and wants to use me to show them how happy, fully loved, and joy-filled we can be as Christians! I want to leave the aroma of my Heavenly Father in others' "smell memories."

What do you think of this? Can you relate to a time in your life when someone's aroma of Christ lingered on you and pulled more deeply into a relationship with Him? Please share in the comments section if you are comfortable doing so...

Blessings.

Jody

No comments:

Post a Comment